When you are married it is expected that both partners remember their Anniversary, or face the consequences. But although everyone is different in how they mark these events, from the nonchalant to the obsessive romantic, there are 10 Anniversaries which we think you would do well to remember, and even rope your friends into celebrating.
- The Anniversary of your first date/kiss – not a big deal to some people, but earth shatteringly important to others. This one doesn’t have a specific gift associated with it, but perhaps a kiss…especially if you are the one who has forgotten.
- The first anniversary of your wedding day – can it really have gone so quickly. Always a shock and one that is traditionally celebrated with…paper. Hard to get romance out of that, but it could be a love letter, or a paper dart if they haven’t remembered.
- 5 years married – not bad. You will know each other quite well by now so why not go bonkers with a gift of….wood. I like the idea of planting a tree, which will grow, like your love, every year.
- 10 years – a considerable milestone, and an occasion to celebrate with friends and family and…tin or aluminium. You will have learnt how to keep your partner happy by now so this one is up to you…but I might suggest that a four pack might not work.
- 20 years – what heroes! So many memories that are unique to the two of you, and bind you together. As this is a big one you have earned a gift of china. Perhaps you could feign a misunderstanding of this one and have a trip to Hong Kong.
- 25 YEARS – friends and family will definitely want to get involved in this one so you may want to throw a party, in which case an anniversary gift list is advisable. With a theme of silver you can’t go wrong. Perhaps everyone could contribute to something fabulous, and you can give your partner a picture of you in a silver picture frame (to keep the burglars away as my husband would say).
- 30 years – congratulations on a job well done. Pearls seem a fine gift for the ladies, but not sure what is in this for the men. Perhaps think laterally and take him deep sea diving.
- 40 years –whoa, you are amazing, and all your friends will think so too. Rubies are the order of the day, but I’m sure a nice bottle of wine or port would not go amiss while you reminisce.
- 50 years – you are now becoming a real rarity. If a party is called for let someone else do all the work and enjoy your gifts of gold – you can never have too much of this but I would suggest gold bars if they are asking.
- 60 years and you are a diamond! All you will need for this one is your lovely partner.